Fibromyalgia as a metabolic problem

I'm not a medical professional, and anything you read on this site is my own personal experience not medical advice, so if you try anything that I tell you about here, you do so at your own risk.

It's been a while since I've posted anything on this blog. I have been treating my illness as a metabolic problem, based on some personal research I've been doing. In my Google searches this morning, four months after beginning to change the way I eat and my activities in an effort to treat my fibromyalgia from a metabolic standpoint, I stumbled across this:

http://www.mcdowellpublishing.com/5sects.htm

I'm happy to learn that at least one doctor out there is seeing fibromyalgia the same way as I have. I feel better than I have in five years. I am using sugar again -- a substance I cut completely out of my diet over 25 years ago. This is contrary to everything you read about fibromyalgia and how to eat. I started eating a high-carb diet. The results have been amazing. Instead of taking Tylenol or Motrin for pain, I have some carbs, and the pain goes away, or at least becomes manageable.

I can't tell anyone for sure that this will work for everyone -- we are all different. But it is working for me, and for now I'm sticking with it. Yes, I gained some weight -- 15 pounds -- but I will take that over chronic pain and bone-crushing fatigue any day.

I would buy the above doctor's book, but at $120 even I draw the line somewhere. It's funny that I discovered this metabolic problem on my own, and now learn that this doctor has the same theory.

A final note: I have a hereditary form of hemolytic anemia which was diagnosed about four years ago at the beginning of my quest to find answers as to why I felt so awful and was in such pain. At the time, my hematologist told me, in no uncertain terms, that my anemia was NOT causing my symptoms. He could not have been more wrong. There is evidence that women who are anemic are more likely to develop fibromyalgia, and that anemia MAY be a cause of fibromyalgia. In the meantime, I have learned (through my own research and no thanks to any doctors out there) that my symptoms are almost exclusively the result of my chronic hemolytic anemia -- completely contrary to what one supposed "expert" hematologist told me. Doctors are not God. They do not have all the answers. Read and research as much as you can on your own. Talk to others. Join an online support group. It is the best way to find answers.

Peace, love,
K2

Comments