Migraines and fibromyalgia

With the stress of this time of year, I took a day yesterday to read a good book and just chill out.  As with every time I try to do something nice for myself, fibromyalgia makes sure I pay the price.  If I go to a concert and dance and sing, the next day (sometimes not until two days later) I am in excruciating pain.  If I travel, some kind of pain and I'll probably also get a cold.  If I go for a walk -- back and leg pain two days later.  Not the next day... since that would be too easy to figure out where it came from... oh no, this insidious syndrome makes sure a day or two are skipped in between, leaving one to wonder "What the heck did I do wrong?"  So last night, I finished this great book and I was so happy to have been able to read a book for a change.  A real paper book, not an electronic one, by the way.  And so, I woke up in the middle of the night with an excruciating migraine, and horrendous back and neck pain.  Terrific.

I've suffered with migraines since I was 10 years old.  I'm pretty much an expert at getting rid of them.  In fact, as I write this, the pain is slowly going away, thanks to a couple of Excedrin and a tall glass of water.  I would have liked to go back to bed, but lying down makes it worse.  I usually throw in a large coffee, but it's a tad too early in the morning for that.  As the pain passes, I get post-migraine symptoms such as tinnitus, runny nose, shakiness and fatigue (of course).

Many things can cause a migraine:  stress, not enough water or fluid, too much salt or food additives one is unaware of, bad posture, changes in weather.  I'm pretty sure I ticked all of those boxes within the last couple of days, and voila!, migraine.

Before I start this day, this crazy week, I'm going to go lie down for a while.

Happy holidays from the fibroworks family.


Comments