Mommy doesn't feel good

I teach all of my dogs the phrase "Mommy doesn't feel good" (ok, not perfect English for the grammar police queen, but that is what I say!).  They all know, when I say this phrase, it means they must lie down and rest with "Mommy" or lie down and stay out of the way.

Yesterday, I returned to New England after a lovely getaway in Puerto Rico.  I love New England just as much as the islands, so I was fully prepared for the blizzard that was supposed to hit, and the next Polar Vortex.  It was a busy day at work, and I didn't eat correctly, after having spent five days not eating correctly to begin with.  I was in a bad-food deficit.   I also didn't sleep well on the Puerto Rico trip (a work assignment, which required that we be up before dawn each morning, and staying up late each night).  I slept too much my first night home.  Worked a long day my first day back at work, and had construction workers at my house using chemical wood stain and other construction chemicals finishing our basement renovation.... this filled up the entire house with overwhelming smells.  I'm very sensitive to anything scented or chemical, perfumes, smoke, etc.  I was in a bad-smell deficit.  Just as we were leaving work last night, we discovered a gas leak which also smelled bad but was also extremely stressful! I was up half the night worrying about the morning crew who would go into the office and discover NO HEAT (because of the gas leak we had to shut down the system).  I was in a bad-stress deficit.  So, I stayed up waiting for 6 a.m. so I could call the person on duty and warn her not to try to turn on the heat.  I called her, only to find out she already knew of the situation and was on her way to work early to deal with it!  I was in a bad-sleep deficit.

You guessed it!  I woke up with a massive headache this morning.  In my email, I received Dr. Mercola's newsletter which outlined the top reasons people get chronic headaches.  Every single one of these things happened to me within the last two days:  from changes in altitude and weather, to stress and not eating right!!  Here is the list:

Food and drink: Many people experience migraines when they eat certain foods, especially: wheat, dairy, sugar, artificial preservatives or chemical additives, cured or processed meats, alcohol (especially red wine and beer), aspartame, caffeine, and MSG. Too much or too little coffee/caffeine can also trigger an attackChanges in sleeping cycle: Both missing sleep and oversleeping can trigger a migraineHormones: Some women experience migraines before or during their periods, during pregnancy or during menopause. Others may get migraines from hormonal medications like birth control pills or hormone replacement therapy
Allergies: Including food allergies and food sensitivities, and chemical sensitivitiesStress/Post-stress: Any kind of emotional trauma can trigger a migraine, even after the stress has passedExternal stimuli: Bright lights, fluorescent lights, loud noises, and strong smells (even pleasant ones) can trigger a migraine
Dehydration and/or hunger.Skipping meals or fasting are also common triggersPhysical exertion:Extremely intense exercise or even sex has been known to bring on migrainesWeather changes, and/or changes in altitude

I've had migraines ever since I was 10 years old.  So, while this isn't exactly part of my fibromyalgia, I believe that it played a part, if that makes any sense.

My remedy is two Excedrin Migraine because I can't take prescription meds; a large iced coffee; and a full glass of water.  Lie down for 15 minutes in a dark room with my hand pressing against my forehead in the "third eye" area.

Do you get headaches?  What are your tried-and-true remedies? 


Comments