A to Z Challenge: M is for Management #atozchallenge

If this past week taught me anything, it underscored my tried-and-true belief that the only "cure" for fibromyalgia is management of symptoms.  By "management" I mean that there isn't a pill, a supplement, a physical therapy, an exercise or any one thing that can cure fibromyalgia.  Don't be taken in by websites or social media salespeople who tout their miracle supplement or formula that is going to stop your fibro symptoms.  Their formula may have worked, for them, but it may or may not work for you or me.

For a while, I was visiting a naturopath (it got too expensive, so I had to stop), and she would prescribe supplements.  A lot of the supplements helped me with this, that or the other thing.  But some of them made me sick or I had a bad reaction to them.

You already know my opinion about regular doctors!  See yesterday's post for reinforcement!  But seriously, doctors think Cymbalta, Lyrica, Neurontin or other strong medications will stop fibro symptoms.  Maybe they do, for some people.  I found that I had a bad reaction to all of them, and none of them made me better.

There are the well-intended friends and family who ask if you've tried a, b, or c.  (Which, of course, we have... we've tried everything!).  Similar to the naturopath and the regular doctors, some ideas friends and family pitch might work.  Some, might not.

Each individual who has fibromyalgia is different.  I was about to write that it's not the same as treating a common illness... but then I looked back at my recent experience with hypertension.  There should be a supposedly "one-size-fits-all" treatment for hypertension.  It is assumed that there is.  But look how that treatment affected me.  Each individual is different.  Period.  Whether or not you have fibromyalgia.  The one-size-fits-all treatment method is flawed from the git-go.

For fibromyalgia, I have found, there is only one thing that works (for me).  Management.  What I mean by this is that I have to dole out my time, tasks and energy accordingly each day.  If necessary, I have to rest in between activities.  I have to eat right.  I have to try to move my body each day.  I have to try to sleep as well as possible.  I have to try to avoid stress.  I have to do something nice for myself each day (unless that something nice becomes a chore and requires energy!).

Thanks for reading!



Comments

  1. Management is the only way around some diseases.

    I hope you keep feeling better.

    Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2014, My Latest post

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some friends with fibromyalga and I know how tough it can be. Hopefully, one day, they'll develop a real cure and not just management.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right. Anyone with an on-going condition has to learn how to LIVE with it every day.
    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    Wendy at Jollett Etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right! Everything you said I agree with! Management is definitely the only sure-fire way to live with my Fibromyalgia! One day of activity can mean two or three days of rest after. Stress is a killer for anyone with Fibromyalgia. Thank you for sharing with others what it's like to live with Fibromyalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is no size fits all cure for anything, we are all different right down to a common cold, what works for one does not work for the other. And management you speak off is true for everyone with or without illnesses. Monitor your activity, your diet, your sleep is something everyone should do. The difference is others can perhaps get away not doing it for a short while. Even a healthy person will have issues if they don't monitor their sleep, their diet, their exercise etc. Love your background pictures by the way...very cool old photo's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love old photos especially anything from WWII and the 1940s!

      Delete
  6. It was a very interesting post, thanks for sharing.
    Nice to meet and connect through the atozchallenge. http://aimingforapublishingdeal.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, wow I wish I could write fiction and plots! I have not been able to put anything fictional together. I admire those who can!! (and I often like to read fiction... and then I say "Darn! Wish I had thought of that!")

      Delete

Post a Comment