Socializing with Fibromyalgia


Do you get drained from socializing or interacting with people?  I do!!  This has always happened to me, long before my fibromyalgia began.  I am one of these empathic people -- sometimes called an intuitive empath -- I pick up and absorb everyone's energy in the room (or at work, or on an airplane, elevator, barbecue... wherever) and it zaps my personal energy because I'm carrying all of their "stuff".

Yesterday, I attended two cookouts for the 4th of July.  Even though it was the 5th of July!  The 4th got rained out due to Hurricane Arthur.  I handled myself well within the social context "while it was happening".  But as soon as I got in the car for the drive home from the second barbecue, the fibro flare-up began.  I have gone about a week or so without having to take any pain meds, so I was pretty happy about that.  By the time I got home last night, I was hurtin' bad and in a full flare.  Every joint and muscle in my body hurt and I was exhausted.  I suppose it didn't help that I also did 5 loads of laundry (the dog beds from the car) yesterday, AND made a giant batch of potato salad (which I hope everyone liked!).

When I got home last night, the fireworks began.  They have a huge fireworks display across the street from my house, on the beach -- it almost looks professional except it's highly illegal and kind of half-assed if you want my personal opinion.  Everyone on the lake loves it.  I can take it or leave it.  I used to get very angry because the fireworks upset my dogs, but my current dogs are ok with it, so, so am I.

Anyway, I sat on the couch or stood at the door, watching the action from safely inside my house with no mosquitoes!!  When it was all over, around midnight, I took a couple of Excedrin and went to bed. This morning I am utterly exhausted.  Can't get out of my own way, cranky, yelling at the dogs.  All those people at the parties drinking and carrying on, and me Miss Mary Pure ends up with "the hangover".

How does socializing affect you?  Share in the comments.


Comments