A and B are for Anti-biotics #AtoZChallenge

You may have seen my Facebook post about how my fibromyalgia pain (but not fatigue) disappeared after I was hospitalized for a medical emergency.

Well, here I am five weeks later, and still no fibromyalgia pain!

How?

I have no idea. I have asked my doctors, and they have never heard of such a thing. But, each of them said, "Hey, I never heard of that, but I'll take it!"  Me, too.

My theory is, because they pumped me full of intravenous antibiotics for three days, and I did not have an infection at the time (they were preparing for surgery), I think the antibiotics cleared up something that had been underlying for many years. It's the only explanation I can come up with... with the possible alternate theory of high blood pressure (now controlled by medication). Who knows?

Maybe I did not have fibromyalgia, at all.

That being said, the SLIGHTEST activity sucks the life out of me. Worse than before. Thankfully, I had taught myself to budget my time and activities when I was living with what we all thought was fibromyalgia. This is how I am managing each day now.

I am normally a very anti-antibiotics and anti-drugs type of person. I actually fought the doctors when they wanted to give me antibiotics. I explained to them that I usually get antibiotic-induced colitis from antibiotics, and they had to be sure not to give me certain ones (clindamycin, for example). I told them, they had to treat me as if I was a little kid, because my system is so drug-sensitive. I told them I did not want strong blood pressure meds. I wanted a diuretic. They agreed to try that! Well, they actually listened.

It was tough being my own advocate when hospitalized, but I managed to do it.

Oh, and I was "the freak" that all the med students, doctors and nurses had to see. I was yellow from high levels of bilirubin. Most of them said they had never seen anything like it in their careers. Lovely.

Today, I have dental pain (which might be sinus pain), but this is only the second time, since my release from the hospital, that I've had to take any over-the-counter pain relievers.

I still believe that "we" take too many antibiotics, but I am pretty much convinced that it what cleared up my problems, whatever those problems were.

Now, do I change the name of this blog?! LOL!




Psssst! I got too busy yesterday and couldn't pull off the "A" post. So, I combined A and B today. Hope I don't get kicked out!! LOL!  Hey, it was Easter Sunday. 

Comments